MORAVIAN ELBOW LOCK
Forged iron tulip-shaped faceplate with wing-nut on threaded shaft. Pierced by cast iron handle (extension missing). Oval shaped thumb press. Rectangular latch. The handle is removable once the wing nut is removed thus preventing entry from outside. Found in Quakertown, Pennsylvania. These locks were originally found only in Moravian communities but later spread to other German-settled areas in Pennsylvania & beyond. Approx. 9 W.; 4 ½ H.; 6 ¼D. Circa 1830.
See Sonns Early American Wrought Iron. Plate 101 and Schiffers Antique Iron P. 92.