19th Century Painted Cast Iron Mechanical Bank Owl Turns Head
This bank was made by the J. & E. Stevens Company of Cromwell, Connecticut.
Unusual is the fact that the bank is covered by two patents, a design patent and a regular patent, both issued to James H. Bowen of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The design patent is dated September 21, 1880, and the other September 28, 1880. The base plate is inscribed ‘PATD SEPT 21 & 28TH 1880.’
A coin is placed at the top of the branch. The operating lever in the rear is depressed causing the owl’s head to turn counter clockwise and thereby allowing the coin to drop inside the owl itself. Coins are removed by means of a conventional round Stevens trap in the base plate.
The owl has yellow glass eyes with black pupils.
Reference: The Bank Book by Bill Norman p.63
Condition: The bank is in very nice original condition with wear as expected from age and use. See Photos
Approximate Dimensions: Base 3 7/8" x 3" The owl is 7 1/2" high